Re: equal time for Fiberspar

From: Jay Runge (jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 20 1995 - 13:57:57 PDT

From: jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis (Jay Runge)
Subject: Re: equal time for Fiberspar
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 13:57:57 -0700 (PDT)

A few things...

I think Fiberspar, Dynafiber, and Gulftech are all using the same
front ends (still). Since it seems to be the front ends that are
going (except Jerome and Brian B!), another brand of tube may not
solve the problem.

Fiberspar hears nothing about booms that break in 13 months, so
Nevin's view of the situation is somewhat skewed. More fspar booms
break than he hears about.

Takes me longer to break Windsurf hawaii booms than fiberspar, but
they still break in the warranty period.

I have heard/seen booms that were thought to be the most unbreakable
break in a very short time - Chinook, Windsurf hawaii, etc. Seems
that all booms will break.

If you are going to break your booms (you know who you are!) be
prepared to sail back. I tie up the broken side and sail back
planing and in the straps, get backup booms, go back out.

If you think your booms are going to break, tie a line from one tube
to the other tube around the front of the mast. When the boom breaks
the backend you save will be your own (the boom's backend, maybe yours
too).

Breaking booms is one of the least traumatic breakdowns, no sleep need
be lost worrying about it. I am an expert.

Jay

PS if you break your booms and are throwing them away, I want the parts.
If you break booms and need a part I might have a used, nonwarranty
replacement for you.