re:Re: equal time for Fiberspar

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Oct 21 1995 - 13:16:42 PDT

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 13:16:42 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: re:Re: equal time for Fiberspar

> From: RZM1%PCs%PS@go50.comp.pge.com-DeleteThis
> So, if Fiberspar equipment doesn't last, what does? Which masts and booms
> have been holding up better than Fiberspar?

Dynafiber: Due to very low failure rate, they extended their mast
warranty from 1 year to 5 years! I've had Dynafiber mast since 1992, my
most used mast, still going strong. Dynafiber booms haven't had enough
track record yet for longevity, but I've bought one last June, which I
only use for high wind bump & jump, and in waves on coast. No problems,
other than a slight elongation of the spring pin holes. They are
correcting this for '96 with a different adjustment system.

Gulftech: I have a carbon gulftech boom, that I've had since '93. I
used it originally on a 7.5 race sail, but now I only use it with my
6.9 and 6.3 race sails, with an occasional jump. It's still going
strong.

Powerex: Prepreg carbon epoxy construction masts. My wave masts are
either the Powerex Carbon Wave, or the Dynafiber Tsunami Wave.

Nolimitz uses prepreg carbon, but I have no experience with them.

Generally, carbon prepreg construction in masts is going to be much
more reliable. Dynafiber uses a braiding machine (developed by K2 Ski)
to braid the carbon fiber onto the mandrel. Also a very durable
construction. Fiberspar uses the cheapest method of laying up carbon
fiber (wetting the unidirectional carbon cloth by hand).

I stopped using aluminum booms, because the salt water corrodes al
quickly, which leads to premature failure. But then again, al booms
are cheap. Carbon booms are expensive ($250 - $300).

~Jim