Re: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

From: shreddined@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Apr 28 1994 - 10:05:53 PDT

From: shreddined@aol.com-DeleteThis
Sender: "shreddined" <shreddined@aol.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 13:05:53 EDT
Subject: Re: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis) wrote:

>Why even hassle with the bother of setting up your own? These people are
>willing to spend $1000 bucks on professional equipment, and they have a
>employee in the Bay Area (Mike Godsey: 707-823-7988) who can tend to all of
>this stuff. For 25 cents a call they give me the last eight hours of data,
>with 120 data points per hour (peak and average speeds read each minute).
>They give me the software to graph it, and they give me the same data for
>other Bay Area sites, including sensors that they already have running at
>Crissy and Sherman Island. I don't think we can match their effort cost
>efficiently, so why bother? I'm happy to just to find a small outfit like
>this that is able to make a business out of doing something that is going
>to save me a lot of wasted time.

I've had mixed experience with Windsight. I purchased my 50 minute card last
October, along with the updated Windsight/Windgraph/PressureMap software, and
although the GUI is very nice, and the minute-by-minute averages and peaks is
very useful, it hasn't quite lived up to my expectations. The data gathering
for the current 4 sights (Bodega, Tomales, Crissy and Sherman) has been very
spotty to date. Very often, I've gotten no averages or peaks for Crissy and
Sherman. Frankly, I could care less about Tomales and Bodega (although I
guess someone out there does). I will say that the folks at Microforecasts
have been very helpful and cooperative, and are trying to work the bugs out.
They've informed me that there's been a bug with their Crissy and Sherman
sensors which has prevented the averages and peaks from being recorded.
Their lack of Peninsula measurements and lack of Mac support has also been a
problem for me since I sail the Peninsula and have a Mac at the office.

Don't get me wrong, once all the bugs are worked out and Peninsula sights are
supported, I'll probably start using it again on a regular basis. As it
stands, however, I'll probably just use Ken's service since it gives me
enough information to make a decision whether to go out or not.

Btw - my average connect time at 9600 baud for downloading the data is around
1.15 minutes for all three sets of data (Windsight, Windgraph and
PressureMap). For a 50-minute card, that's about 50 calls. Kindof
expensive, if you ask me.

-shrEd
Ed Scott
ShreddinEd@aol.com-DeleteThis