Re: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 28 1994 - 10:46:35 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 10:46:35 -0700 (PDT)

'shreddined@aol.com-DeleteThis says:'

> Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis) wrote:
>
> >Why even hassle with the bother of setting up your own? These people are
> >willing to spend $1000 bucks on professional equipment, and they have a
> >employee in the Bay Area (Mike Godsey: 707-823-7988) who can tend to all of
> >this stuff. For 25 cents a call they give me the last eight hours of data,
> >with 120 data points per hour (peak and average speeds read each minute).
> >They give me the software to graph it, and they give me the same data for
> >other Bay Area sites, including sensors that they already have running at
> >Crissy and Sherman Island. I don't think we can match their effort cost
> >efficiently, so why bother? I'm happy to just to find a small outfit like
> >this that is able to make a business out of doing something that is going
> >to save me a lot of wasted time.
>
> I've had mixed experience with Windsight. I purchased my 50 minute card last
> October, along with the updated Windsight/Windgraph/PressureMap software, and
> although the GUI is very nice, and the minute-by-minute averages and peaks is
> very useful, it hasn't quite lived up to my expectations. The data gathering
> for the current 4 sights (Bodega, Tomales, Crissy and Sherman) has been very
> spotty to date.

They just set the sensors up two months ago, and yes they are still in the
debugging stage. But if you want to see the true potential of the thing,
get their software for the Gorge. It consistently works, and works well.
You need to have a vision of the big picture here, and the big picture is
that they are going to keep working on this thing until the Bay service is
as good as the Gorge service. Today, it has holes. No doubt some of their
metering sites for the first year are going to be bad choices and need to
get replaced next season. But, hey, the leading edge is the bleeding
edge, and at this point the service is not mature.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis