Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 27 1994 - 14:02:31 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Need a measuring site for Coyote and Third Avenue
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 14:02:31 -0700 (PDT)

There is a company named Micro Forecasts that wants to find some good sites
at which they can install sensors for Coyote and Third Ave. What makes the
Micro Forecast sensors really incredible is that they give minute-by-minute
peak and average readings, and their software lets you download this data
for the last 8 hours. This lets you see trends much better than National
Weather Service data does.

To get to the point: I need help from Bay Area windsurfers locating some
buildings where we can install a sensor for Coyote and for Third Ave.
Ideally these need to be buildings that are not in a wind shadow, and that
correctly reflect conditions on the water at these sailing sites. Micro
Forecasts is thinking of using the ASD building for the Coyote sight, but
there is some concern about whether that would be in too much of a wind
shadow. There are no candidates for a Third Ave. sensor yet. If someone
who sails these locations frequently could help identify some sites, and
then provide addresses and/or phone numbers for the buildings, that would
be great.

Note: I have no connection with Micro Forecasts other than being a
satisfied user of their software. My only motivation in doing this is that
I want to know how good the wind is at Coyote and Third Avenue before I
spend 45 minutes each way driving there in commute-hour traffic. I've been
skunked too many times relying on the National Weather Service data in
marginal conditions, so I'm anxious to see this new data get online before
summer.

--
Thanks,
Will Estes              Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis

P.S. Micro Forecasts has offered to install a sensor at San Luis if the users can help raise half the cost ($500 of $1000). They don't think the site is going to pay for itself, so that's why they are taking that approach. Apparently some guy in the Valley is coordinating raising money for that site, so if you are interested contact me and I'll give you his name/number.