RE: Lost Board

From: Richard O. Rhodes (rorhodes@pacbell.net-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 16:04:26 PDT

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:04:26 -0700
From: "Richard O. Rhodes" <rorhodes@pacbell.net-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: RE: Lost Board
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com

I had a similar experience a mile out at 3rd in 4.5 SqM conditions. The
base had worked loose (unscrewed slightly). When the base pulled out of the
track, I fell backwards, kicking the board down wind. It was moving fast,
and I could not catch it. A friend, very tired, was following me and went
after the board. As he jumped off his board to help, he missed my board and
his splash pushed it faster down wind. I then got the attention of a wind
surfer who was just within sight, and pointed down wind with urgency. He
kindly found and held the board until I could swim the 200 feet to it. I
was able to paddle up wind and somehow find my rig in driving spray and
steep waves. I was surprised to find no damage to track, nut or threads,
and only slight damage to pride, so sailed in.

My friend, while I was retrieving my board, had sailed off to find my rig
before it sank, but in those conditions did not find the board, rig, or me,
until much later at the launch ramp.

Now I:
1. Try to check the base tightness every three or four missed jibes
(shouldn't admit this). I think a falling, rotating mast can loosen the
base.
2. Use a nylon rope safety line from sail to board with carabiner (unwind
the line from around the mast every few missed jibes unless you can miss a
port jibe, then a starboard, etc.).
3. Try not to sail with a friend.

Richard Rhodes