RE: iwindsurf

From: Tracy Pierce (TPierce@goldengate.org-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 14:23:24 PDT

From: Tracy Pierce <TPierce@goldengate.org-DeleteThis.com>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com'" <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: RE: iwindsurf
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:23:24 -0700

> What do you know about the anonometer midspan on the GGBridge?
> It used to be a mechanical spinner with windvane, now looks like a
> non-moving 3-pronged hitech sensor...no good for a visual check when
> driving across the bridge!

I believe the GGBridge sensor is NWS; they like the low-maintenance factor
of the 3-prong sensor. Its reading is on KPoulton's page as Golden Gate
Bridge. You can probably find it at NWS too (sorry you can't see it
spinning - try rolling down the window?).

Speaking of which, isn't the thingie at Treasure Island one of those
3-finger sensors, too? I think it is, and I'd bet it's run by either NWS or
US Coast Guard, with readings undoubtedly available somehow, but I dunno.
Would some ham radio expert get in touch with me re this? I'm sure all or
most of those NWS sensors broadcast their data via shortwave, and quite
possibly more than hourly.

Re TI sailing, I believe there's a blurb at www.sfba.org; I think iW has at
least directions. For the safety bit, I'd suggest getting one of those nice
little tide books and study the current maps in the back, on which TI is
prominently featured. (oh, and Radios are not a crime, especially when
unused!)

which brings me back to our real topic, dissing iWindsurf. I'm as
disappointed as anybody regarding what happened er continues to happen to
Call of the Wind behind the .com and reorganization frenzies (have you tried
getting them on the phone lately?). But I still use the Wireless service,
and pay extra $ for alpha service, via which I receive customized reports in
addition to the 12 slots of info from iW. Yes, you can do that with a cell
phone or non-iW pager, but at that point you'll realize that the 12-slot
pager layout is the best format going (so far, anyway!).

And the real cost of Wireless service is, per Jim Martin, $14.91 / month.
tack on another $4 or so for the alpha paging. It's not perfect, but I'd
have to rank it just below realtime inyourface wind, especially when you're
chasing storm wind in the winter. A pretty good deal at less than
$20/month.

OTOH, he has a new mis-information officer...

George Haye writes...

>Jeff, Manuel, and everyone-
>(1) To clear up any misinformation, we (iWindsurf / formerly Call of the
>Wind) are still just a few guys doing the best we can to deliver wind info
><snip>
>(3) I believe the Palo Alto wind report that you are referring to, in
>relation to Ken Poulton's website, is an iWindsurf sensor.
><snip>

Absolute Nonsense. George, do you realize that your flip answer to a
question not even directed to you actually accuses Ken Poulton of
rebroadcasting iW's "private" data? As an iW employee you should know
better; you could easily check it out yourself.

NO info is better than MISinfo (which you're trying to "clear up"?),
especially coming from the "iW Website Content Developer".