iWindsurf and what we're doing for you

From: George Haye (george@iwindsurf.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 12:15:15 PDT

From: "George Haye" <george@iwindsurf.com-DeleteThis.com>
To: <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: iWindsurf and what we're doing for you
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:15:15 -0700

Jeff, Manuel, and everyone-
(1) To clear up any misinformation, we (iWindsurf / formerly Call of the
Wind) are still just a few guys doing the best we can to deliver wind info
and forecasts. No corporate giants here. We are the same guys that did
windcall.com and now we're *making* a national site, working all day, on
weekends, and at night for modest wages. The only other company that was
united with Call of the Wind/Windcall was Wind HotLine - 3 guys in Boston.
We have not merged with Zulusports, the relationship with them has been just
an advertising campaign, and an attempt to keep us from having to charge for
web access. The need to begin charging for access to our wind data was
something we resisted as long as possible. However, advertising dollars are
not enough to stay afloat on. How many .coms and websites have we all seen
struggling and going out of business lately?

It became clear that we needed to begin to charge for services rendered.
Most businesses and most professionals do find that they need to charge for
services rendered to stay in business. Do you charge? Does your business
charge? There are real costs related to building and maintaining our website
and our new WAP website, our private sensor network, our professional
forecasts, our customer service efforts, etc.

We are offering web access now (during April 2001) for $59 for the first
year. ($10 off the normal rate of $69/year.) That amounts to the equivalent
of $4.92/month. Knowing what it's blowing saves gas. (Hey, iWindsurf is good
for the environment.) You can give your $4.92/month to us or to Exxon --
who's the bigger corporate giant?

(2) We are now offering our pager at $16.95/month on the annual plan. Plans
from 2 years ago were at $19/month. Rather than being double what it was, it
is now a couple dollars less. Someone who insists on just getting a pager
for a couple months per year /seasonally will now pay a month-to-month rate
of $24.95, because that rate is needed to cover costs of programming the
pager, taking them online, and then taking them offline again, etc. Access
to the best windsurfing information on the internet is available for free
along with our Wireless/Pager membership. Also, **Wireless members will have
access to our WAP website accessible by WAP phones and other devices.** We
are building this as we speak. You will be able to configure your own view
of our WAP website by setting it up on iWindsurf.com on your 'myIW' page. We
offer a lot more now than we ever did, and we offer it for less money.

(3) I believe the Palo Alto wind report that you are referring to, in
relation to Ken Poulton's website, is an iWindsurf sensor.

(4) We are strongly supporting local windsurfers, the sport of windsurfing,
and windsurfing access in the Bay Area and nationwide. We are providing a
free advertising campaign to SFBA on our website which is extremely valuable
and which has brought hundreds of eyes to the SFBA website. We are doing
similar pro bono advertising for USWA and CGWA (Gorge). We list shops for
free, and time permitting we list as many swap meets, races, and events that
we can. Awareness of the many threats to windsurfing access will continue to
be generated thanks to iWindsurf. We do this because we are windsurfers at
the core and we love this thing called windsurfing.

(5) iWindsurf.com will have a slightly different look and many great new
features starting mid April. To reduce clutter, our Advertising space has
been reduced by 50%, and the Zulusports banner will be much smaller. We will
have swell reports, topographical maps, wind flow pattern maps, and public
domain sensors including: SFO, Davis Point, Pigeon Point, Pillar Point,
Angel Island, Long Marine Lab, Golden Gate Bridge (2 sensors), Port Chicago,
Hayward, Livermore...and more...

(6) *Free Membership*
Just about any windsurf info you can get for free anywhere else on the
internet you will still be able to get for free from iWindsurf.com. Free
members won't get access to many of iW's own private sensors and iW's
forecasting services. Our customers tell us that our sensors and forecasts
are quite valuable, however, and along with other features we offer for
FX/Web members, including wind alerts via email, the FX/Web membership
delivers quite a bit and is very reasonably priced.

(7) We at iWindsurf are dedicated to helping you get your next great session
on the water, and in return we need your support.

Now go out and shred!

George Haye
Web Content Developer
iWindsurf.com