Re: Loops? In Berkeley?

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 14:17:19 PDT

Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:17:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Loops?  In Berkeley?

On Mon, 3 May 1999 Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis wrote:

> In a message dated 5/3/99 1:08:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis writes:
>
> > Saw several good attempts yesterday right in front of His Lordships. Won't
> > attempt to "score", but was impressed. Also, several chop hop/jump jibes
> > (term?), maybe same guy? Seemed to be several "visitors" over from the
> > city to enjoy the bountiful wind (but nasty, cold weather!).
>
> Am I just picky or were the hot shots seemed to be a bit territorial in the
> zone right in front of H's Lordships?

- Yes, there are a couple of guys that are absolute JERKS that show up
when it's windy. It's true that some of best swell is usually right in
front of HL, as well as a flat spot for hero jibes, but I try to avoid
that area. If you can get upwind to the sandbar in between the inner
and outer channel markers for Emeryville marina there is much better
swell there, over by the gap in the pier is usually good as well.

> A couple of times when I was just
> behind and downwind of one of these guys I would point high upwind and get
> behind and above them so that they had room to pick their jibe spot. My
> reward was that they would always throw their jibe at the last possible spot
> before the restaurant and they would throw a really tight jibe so that you
> couldn't jibe behind them without having them come out of their jibe on top
> of you. It makes me think that trying the cooperative approach doesn't work.
> I guess I should have just stayed below them up to the last moment and found
> out if they can tack their shortboards too. I guess I just expect that good
> sailors have the awareness and the ability that should allow them to share
> the water generously with everyone else.

- I find that's true of REALLY good sailors. These guys aren't as
nearly as good or cool as they'd like you to believe. If they were
they'd do their fancy jibes out in the swell instead of holding on
to the last minute to jibe in that one small flat spot near HL.

- If you're looking for a flat spot to crank some jibes, there is
usually one right over by the Emeryville point. Be careful, you can
get caught in a wind shadow over there as well if you get too near
the marina. Of course you won't be able to impress the wedding
reception guests at HL, but there's usually an audience over at
Emeryville park as well...

- Booker C. Bense