Re: Techno

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 13:35:20 PDT

Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 13:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Techno

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Kirk Lindstrom wrote:

> I demo'd one from ASD recently and sailed it with a 7.5 for an hr or so, then it
> came up and I went to 6.5 until it was too much fin/board/sail.
>
> I thougth it was about the easiest board to jibe that I EVER
> sailed. I didn't miss any until I started to get a bit tired with
> the increasing wind. Then again, most boards sink some on my less
> than perfect form and this 150L of flotation and nice vee in the
> bottom really work well.
>
> Only complaint was it was slow to get going once it felt like it
> wanted to plane. Boards like my 1994 or 5 ASD course board seems
> to almost have positive feedback once it gets on a plane whereas
> the Techno takes a bit more energy to get up and go. This has the
> effect on the positive side of making it easier to sail
> overpowered.

- I know exactly what you're talking about and it has more to do
with the stock fin than the board itself. If you put a really stiff
fin in it ( like a carbon curtis cr12) the board has a much nicer
lift off. Of course you pay for this on the other end, as I learned
the hard way at Berkeley on Saturday. When David was feeling a little
out of control on his 4.9m I was attempting to waterstart my 7.2 in
3-4ft swells.... With a 20" fin you can do some serious tailwalking.

- It will never jump on a plane as quite as quickly as an all out
course board, but you can improve the low end/ upwind performance of
the board alot with a different fin. The stock fin is actually very
good, but it's meant for easy jibing and blasting around with a little
bit too much sail.

- If you aren't aware there is a Techno Class in this year's CalCup
racing series. So far I think the class has 15-16 registered sailors.
You're limited to 4 sails/2 fins. The idea is to make a workable
"one-design" class to get people into racing without breaking the
bank.

- If you're interested in drag racing with some other Techno sailers,
we are trying to meet every Wednesday at around 5pm at the Berkeley
Marina. For CalCap info check out :

        http://www.calcupevents.com/

- Booker C. Bense