Re: Loops? In Berkeley?

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 13:27:54 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 16:27:54 EDT
Subject: Re: Loops?  In Berkeley?
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis writes:

> Saw several good attempts yesterday right in front of His Lordships. Won't
> attempt to "score", but was impressed. Also, several chop hop/jump jibes
> (term?), maybe same guy? Seemed to be several "visitors" over from the
> city to enjoy the bountiful wind (but nasty, cold weather!).

Am I just picky or were the hot shots seemed to be a bit territorial in the
zone right in front of H's Lordships? A couple of times when I was just
behind and downwind of one of these guys I would point high upwind and get
behind and above them so that they had room to pick their jibe spot. My
reward was that they would always throw their jibe at the last possible spot
before the restaurant and they would throw a really tight jibe so that you
couldn't jibe behind them without having them come out of their jibe on top
of you. It makes me think that trying the cooperative approach doesn't work.
I guess I should have just stayed below them up to the last moment and found
out if they can tack their shortboards too. I guess I just expect that good
sailors have the awareness and the ability that should allow them to share
the water generously with everyone else.

Peter