Re: RE: got rescued on Saturday

From: Robert L Indig (rlindig@beckman.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 15:30:10 PDT

From: "Robert L Indig"<rlindig@beckman.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 14:30:10 -0800
Subject: Re: RE: got rescued on Saturday

I was getting a little tired about hearing that everyone has the same idea,
drop your rig and go after the board, until I read the following sentence.

"There isn't enough surface area above water for the wind to catch to drive
a board faster than an able bodied windsurfer should be able to swim."
It is not just the wind that drives the board down wind, but also the
swells. My own experience several years ago at the Stick was that on a 3.2
day my rig detached from my brand new ASD (1st day). I consider myself able
bodied and there was no way I was able to catch up to my board. I never saw
the board again. No one was downwind of me to help. One person upwind saw
what had happened, but chose not to help (thanks a lot).

Lessons:

On big days it is preferable to sail upwind of other sailors. If you have
problems and are downwind there is no one who can help (or is aware that
you need help).

Take ever precaution possible in not using equipment that is prone to
detaching problems.

Your board can move very fast in heavy wind.

Have Matt Biondi as your sailing buddy or board caddy :)

just bob