Re: losing the board (was: got rescued on Saturday)

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@Nersc.GOV-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 13:09:05 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: losing the board (was: got rescued on Saturday)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 13:09:05 -0700
From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@Nersc.GOV-DeleteThis>

My board and rig separated once when I was sailing between the
Emeryville Marina and the Bay Bridge. It was stupid: the mast base
wasn't screwed on tightly enough on the mast track, and it simply came
off during a jibe. I let the rig go, counting on some buoyancy, and
swam for the board but even at full speed I was quite a bit slower.
So I waved to Klaus. He sailed to the board and stopped it for me.

Even without Klaus, this wasn't a life-threatening situation, only
equipment-threatening. I could have easily swam to shore and there is
no current in the area. Conceivable I could have even tried to swim
my rig in, and to look for the board later (it was headed for the
rip-rap by the freeway, ouch).

My rule now is that I tighten the mast base until my fingers hurt.