Re: Reply re Geoffrey's Sailing Elbow

From: Pierre St. Hilaire (pierre@interval.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 02 1997 - 12:08:20 PDT

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 12:08:20 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: pierre@interval.com-DeleteThis (Pierre St. Hilaire)
Subject: Re: Reply re Geoffrey's Sailing Elbow

I am not a doctor, but I've had my share of aches and pains and would like
to add to the previous postings.

the "tennis elbow" is a form a tendinitis (inflammation of the tendons), a
condition also responsible for carpal tunnel syndrome.

In some ways it acts as a positive feedback mechanism: Is first starts with
a bit of inflammation, and then your body sends components of the immune
system as a response (macrophages, etc...) which can overeact and actually
create more inflammation, prompting more immune reaction and further
damage, etc... If unproperly treated the condition can become chronic and
crippling for the reamainder of one's life (I know a few programmers who
are no longer able to use a keyboard for more than a few minutes at a
time).

It is important to stop the inflammation before the "positive feedback
loop" kicks in.

The first thing to do of course is a proper stance - there have been good
postings on the subject already.

If your elbows or wrists hurt after a session, it is important to stop the
inflammation as soon as possible. An ice pack over the sore area, plus
maybe ibuprofen or naproxen (aleve). You should not do much sailing as
long as the articulation is still tender.

If the pain lasts for more than a few days , GO SEE A DOCTOR, preferably
one who practices sports medicine. He or she will likely put you on
naproxen for a couple of weeks, and if this fails give you an infiltration
of cortisone (a strong steroid anti-inflammation agent). And of course
refrain you from activities :(.

These conditions are serious. If you think it is hard not to sail (or sail
less agressively) for a few days, imagine what it would become if this were
for the rest of your life. Those things happen. A few years ago I continued
playing ice hockey despite an inflammed rotator cuff - with the result that
I fucked my left shoulder and will likely never play again (thanks God it
doesn't interfere with windsurfing).

                                                Pierre St Hilaire
                                                Interval Research Corp.