Reply re Geoffrey's Sailing Elbow

From: David R. Fielder (dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 02 1997 - 10:46:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 09:46:52 -0800
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis (David R. Fielder)
Subject: Reply re Geoffrey's Sailing Elbow

        I have two sailing elbows from enjoying a storm front at Larkspur
in December. I believe it is windsurf equivalent of tennis elbow, with
soreness at attachment of tendon on inside of both elbows (tennis elbow may
typically be on outside?). My symptoms have decreased to a low, but steady
state that doesn't seem to stop me from sailing - about 20 days so far this
year (10 out of 13 days at Kanaha - didn't get worse, amazingly), but
playing tennis really is bad for the right elbow (racquet arm), so I am not
as much a two sport person recently. I have used a tennis elbow band on
outside of wetsuit(forget brand, but best seems to be two curved white
plastic pieces with thin neoprene padding and a velcro strap - wraps around
base of forearm near elbow to restrict forearm muscle expansion, which
seems to help avoid serious further damage - or simply keeps you reminded
and cautious?). However, I expect the only true cure is abstinence - not
acceptable. It is also teaching me to death-grip boom less and shake out
each arm regularly on appropriate tack etc.
        I hope we hear from some of the docs out there about this as it can
be a real drag - I hope it is not just age deterioration (just turned 50).
I have also been concerned about appropriate (or not?) rehab exercises off
water, or does that just make it worse too?