Re: Golf balls @ 3rd

From: Bob Colopy (bobco@aloha.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 25 1997 - 10:10:17 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 06:10:17 -1100
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Bob Colopy <bobco@aloha.net-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Golf balls @ 3rd

If someone knows how to write the CGI script such that golf ball accidents
or overshots could be posted to a web page by merely sending an email to a
specific address let me know. I suspect it is not easy to do because all my
email gets forwarded from the Best Internet server in Mountain View to
another server in Hawaii where I now live. One idea would be to have a
program filter the emails coming in at Best Internet just looking at the
subject field e.g. searching for "golf ball report" and messages under a
certain size (must be brief) with no attachments. It forwards all other
emails in real time as they come in but tests the golf one for valid email
return address. If the claimed sender OKs it (need accountability to reduce
chances of inappropriate postings) by sending confirmation with specific
filter information it then processes the original golf report email by
taking the email contents and the relevant fields (from, date, return
address,...) and appending it to an existing html page with all other golf
reports and uploads it into the relevant directory. It then generates an
email report to me in Hawaii notifying me of the addition and its contents.
If the contents are appropriate I can forward the email to this list, the
Golf course management and their attorney complete with web address so they
can get a sense of the problem and increase their liability since made aware
of the problem and its extent. If the contents are inappropriate I can
remove the latest entry. Once the program is up and running we would ask
that old reports with time, location and brief description of incident be
sent in so a comprehensive accounting of incidents reflects the true extent
of the problem.

Since I don't write CGI nor know very much about Unix I would need someone
to demonstrate that it worked on their Best Internet account first and then
we could copy it over to mine. A similar CGI program could be used to post
swap ads automatically to the 3rd ave swap ad web pages. These programs
would speed up postings which now can take days if I'm too busy with other
things to update the 3rd ave web pages daily let alone by the minute as this
new CGI program could do.

Aloha,

Bob Colopy
bobco@aloha.net-DeleteThis