Re: More rescue experience

From: Edward Wilson (edwils@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Apr 13 1997 - 23:11:13 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 23:11:13 -0700
To: schuh@apm-iris1.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis (Michael Schuh)
From: Edward Wilson <edwils@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: More rescue experience
Cc: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

I bought a Uniden HH940 today at west marine. List is $180, but the west
marine 800 # told me it was on sale until today (Sunday) for $165, so they
matched the price. I talked to Charlie there (San Antonio store) - he seemed
pretty knowledgeable.

The choices appeared to be this or the ICOM IC-M1 ($280). They are both the
smallest out there (about the same size) and some of the most waterproof.
Charlie said that if all I want it for is emergency use, they are
equivalent, so I went with the cheaper one. If you were to use it on a
regular basis, the features of the IC-M1 might be worth the $100.

I asked about those waterproof bags, and he said I didn't need them. I do
plan to use some type of bag, but the ones in the store seemed too big anyway.

Now does anyone know what the story is with the FCC? I haven't looked too
carefully at the literature, but it seems like I need to send in $$$ etc.
before I can use it?

Ed Wilson
8'6" Forsythe, 9'0" Energy, Windwings, Brown Vanagon, 3rd Avenue