Re: More rescue experience STORY ON FCC

From: JOHRINER@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 01:26:32 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:26:32 -0700
From: JOHRINER@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: More rescue experience STORY ON FCC

From: Jeff
Reply to: More rescue experience written By Edward Wilson

Here is info on your question about FCC and VHF Handheld Marine Radio
just one thing about cost, as I remember the form does not have cost of
the licensing on it. To be sure calling the FCC for a current price
would be the thing to do. (Toll Free 800-418-FORM) When I got my license
it was $110.00 for ten years. I don't know if the September 18th 1995
price of $75.00 is still in effect. It could be the price has been
changed recently.

Also an attachment on my experince with the radio bags.

                 ****** STORY ON THE FCC *******

LOOK IN THE PACKAGE FOR THE FCC FORM(S) OR ASK THE AT THE STORE IF THAY
HAVE THE FORMS.

ALSO, I HAVE FOUND ON THE USCG PAGES ON LINE INFO ABOUT LICENSING VHF
HANDHELD MARINE RADIOS. On that htm look about half way down the page
and see the area for FCC License Fee and Licencing VHF Handhelds

What you should need is form 506 and check portable in block 10 as what
I recalled doing and by what the htm below mentions.
http://www.navcen.uscg.mil/marcomms/othrcoms/fcc.htm

One other note: trying to contact on line the link to
FCC SHIP AND AIRCRAFT LICENSING FACT SHEET FROM THAT PAGE DID NOT
ANSWER MY CONNECT AND JUST TIMED OUT WHEN I TRIED IT.

FROM THE USCG ON LINE DIRECTORY PAGE MANY OF THE RELATED LINKS GAVE MORE
INFORMATION THAT COULD BE DELT WITH AT ONE SITTING. HAVE A LOOK
YOURSELF. IT'S AT:
http://www.directoryusa.com/directory_usa/military/uscg.htm

Jeff
BIC ROCK&ROLL / GREEN 5.7 GASTRA FREE STYLE / Third Av , not to be
sailing for a while , recovering from the
Gormet Century aprox(100km) bicycle ride 72 miles.

Edward Wilson wrote:

> I bought a Uniden HH940 today at west marine. List is $180, but the west
> marine 800 # told me it was on sale until today (Sunday) for $165, so they
> matched the price. I talked to Charlie there (San Antonio store) - he seemed
> pretty knowledgeable.
>
> The choices appeared to be this or the ICOM IC-M1 ($280). They are both the
> smallest out there (about the same size) and some of the most waterproof.
> Charlie said that if all I want it for is emergency use, they are
> equivalent, so I went with the cheaper one. If you were to use it on a
> regular basis, the features of the IC-M1 might be worth the $100.
>
> I asked about those waterproof bags, and he said I didn't need them. I do
> plan to use some type of bag, but the ones in the store seemed too big anyway.
>
> Now does anyone know what the story is with the FCC? I haven't looked too
> carefully at the literature, but it seems like I need to send in $$$ etc.
> before I can use it?
>
> Ed Wilson
> 8'6" Forsythe, 9'0" Energy, Windwings, Brown Vanagon, 3rd Avenue
>
> At 06:31 PM 4/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >Ed,
> >
> >Thanks for your posting. I read every bit of it and learned some more.
> >West Marine has radios starting at about $175 and going up much
> >higher. My dilemma is which one to get. If you have any ideas on this,
> >I would enjoy hearing them.
> >
> >Thanks,
> > Michael

Jeff's Reply to:

You had a question about radio. I don't know if you ment marine
tranceiver that you were inquiring about where to buy.
But there are many marine stores and mail order catalogs to buy from.

There are many that would not want the extra weight of a tranciver with
them while windsurfing, I am mentioning this for those that don't mind
and are intrested.

I would suggest if you want a marine tranciver (hand held type), I would
suggest that it be capable of complete immersion in water and still
work. I know of two of this type. Both these were seen in a Westmarine
Catalog. The ICOM M15 has some kind of statement about tested to 1 meter
of depth for 30 minutes and still functional after shaking water from
mike/speaker. I have put the the radio inside a bag sealed plastic bag.
It is possible to talk through the bag and allow one to talk with out
having to clear water from the mike/speaker. There is going to be
distortion is rec/trans when using this way. Wind will most probably
cause the most distortion. It is questionable if on the water in high
wind anyone could understand any trasmission at all, so not as to rely
on it in all cases!

Has anyone used a commercially sold resealable bag made for marine hand
held tranceivers and had them leak shortly after a few times out?
I have been through a couple. I found using, as suggested from a camping
store, the vacuume food seal bags. Just don't apply a vaccume. With a
small amount of air inside the bag, the controls can be worked easily
and it floats too. I've kept the radio in a padded hip pack and line
attached in some way, so that it stays with you if let go of it.

The only problem I have with the radio is that there is not a indicator
of battery strenth, therefore I have two batteries. The commercil
resealable bag allowed changing battery without having to ruin the bag.
On the other hand I have used the food seal bag so far at least 3 time
as much without any leaks. The food seal bag can be made quickly and are
costing probably 1/10 or less than the commercially sold radio bag.

Be safe
Jeff