Re: Finger Tips

From: dveach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 15:03:45 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 97 15:03:45
From: dveach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Finger Tips
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

>>Could tens years of sailing do this?
>
>Yes, occurences of carpal tunnel syndrome are well documented
among windsurfers.

>>this problem. Anyone out there have the same ailment and/or
know what to do
>>about it?
>>

>Not much to do about it but lots of naproxen and rest - sorry,
but you
>should not be windsurfing until symptoms disappear. I have
often
>contemplated a kind of "hook" which would be held in place
like a
>skateboarding wristguard and would have the correct shape to
grip the boom
>- maybe there is even someting like that on the market?
>
> Pierre

When I was into waterskiing competitively I had gloves that
used a webbing strap from around the wrist up to the middle two
fingers where there a small piece of dowel goes across the
finger tips (gymnasts use something very similar). The idea is
that as long as you keep your fingers curled, the force of the
pull is transferred to your wrist. It worked quite well as
long as you remembered not to grip too tightly and defeat the
purpose of the wrist strap. I could practice my runs twice as
long with the gloves before my hands gave out (that is if the
rest of me held out :).

I've never actually tried them for windsurfing but it might
help the problem you describe. I thought about it a lot before
I got solid with a harness but I never got around to finding
another pair. It would take some getting use to over regular
gloves as I remember it did for waterskiing. The only other
problem I can think of is that a boom might be a little bigger
in diameter than a tow handle and that might keep the gloves
from working properly.

Hope this helps,
David Veach
E-mail: veach@lanquest.com-DeleteThis