Thursday Pillar Point Report

From: STEVE AMMANN (stephamm@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jan 19 1996 - 22:01:40 PST

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:01:40 -0800
From: stephamm@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis (STEVE AMMANN )
Subject: Thursday Pillar Point Report
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

My present job is to design a ceilometer (laser based cloud
height meter). After the cloud height has steadily come down
from 20,000 ft to about 5000 ft, it looked like the time was
right for good winds at pillar point harbor before the rain
started.
I arrived at about 11:00 to find a handfull of sailers who
already had rigged their 4.5's or so. The wind at the time
looked more like 5.0. They told me that it has been blowing
harder just a few minutes ago. As I rigged my 4.2 (140
lb)the wind picked up cosiderably and by the time I got on
the water I was way overpowered. Rerigged down to 3.7 and
had a reasonably good time. It was at the upper end of my
fun-range, just a bit short where my survival range starts.
All the really good sailers had a blast on their 4.5's. Next
year I will be amongst them.

On the way back to work (around 2 pm)I saw 4 to 5 cars with
boards. It rained heavily and I knew that the poor guys had
missed the good winds.

With my limited experience with southerlies, they typically
seem to last only a couple of hours before the rain
starts.(The big exeption was last year when it lasted several
days). Timing is therefore very important. If somebody knows
how to get up to the hour (or better) windreports from the
anemometer at pillar point , harbor master or from the
airport, I sure would like to hear about it.

Steve Ammann

stephamm@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis