Re: Re: recommendations for light wind board

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 27 1995 - 14:38:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 14:38:00 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: recommendations for light wind board

> this question makes me curious about something...
> should the volume be a direct linear relationship to rider weight (in general)?
> my "light wind" board seems just about right for me volume-wise. I'm 150# and
> it is 114L. I can comfortably (for a 9' short board ;) uphaul it even w/a 6.8,
> tho its volume isn't so great that it feels like a total pig to sail (it's a 94
> epoxy Delta Speed). Of course, shape (ie. distribution of volume), is going to
> make a diff in terms of uphauling stability, sailing & planing & turning
> characteristics too. Hence my question. If it is linear, then jim would be
> looking at (150->240# is 60% increase) 60% incr of 114L ~= 180L board, but that
> sounds pretty huge.
>
> so whatdyaother sailinggeekingunears think?

My $0.02 is you are sailing a transition board without a dagger board.
Nothing wrong with this. Volume isn't as important as width....By those
standards, us big guys have it very hard in light air. You can plane a
9' epoxy board in knat farts while we need maybe 12 knots to get our big
boards going.... Took me along time to learn this as I weighed 230#
when I started sailing and my sailing buddy weighed #125 lbs. He could
do much more than me on his 9'2" than I could do even on my Malibu once
we started sailing Coyote.....Then I did the weight/Vol calc and saw I
really needed to be on an Equipe to plane in comparable winds.

Kirk out