Re: Re: recommendations for light wind board

From: Kirk Lindstrom (kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Oct 30 1995 - 07:31:26 PST

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 07:31:26 -0800
From: Kirk Lindstrom <kirk@hpmsd3.sj.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: recommendations for light wind board

> > should the volume be a direct linear relationship to rider weight (in
> > general)?
>
> I think the volume needed has as much to do with ability as with weight.
> For a given wind, the volume I need to be comfortable has steadily
> declined over the years. In slogging conditions, you'd think the right
> volume might vary directly with weight, but then I saw Brad Duffy slog
> by knee-deep the day of the last speed check I went to and he looked
> perfectly comfortable that way!
> Ken Poulton
> poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
> "Now is the winter of our discontent" -- Richard III, Act I, Scene1, Line 1

Go to Ho'okipa. The kids there that sail all day either as pros or
wanna-be's, are skinny with
muscles from sailing all day on a diet of peanut butter and bread (food
is expensive). They sail tiny boards and sails so they can handle the
big waves. I've seen many a jibe made while slogging thigh deep on
those little boards. Probably comparable to me sailing my 8'8" RKT with
a 5.1 sail in 15 knots of wind. Just amazing.

> Only 156.943 more days until the season starts.

or a storm hits the coast....
burrrrr......
Kirk out