Re: Re: recommendations for light wind board (keep it light!)

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Oct 28 1995 - 16:16:25 PDT

Date: Sat, 28 Oct 1995 16:16:25 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re: recommendations for light wind board (keep it light!)

By far, the most important aspect of a light air board, is light weight.
A light air board in the 9.6 range shouldn't be jumped anyway, so make it
as light as possible. This is a good reason to stay away from the production
boards and go custom epoxy. I personally don't have a board in this range,
but if I did, it would be a 9'6" nonose, 130 literish, and would weigh in
at 12-14 lbs. This board with a 7.5 sail would have my 220lb butt planing
in about 10kts of wind, easy.

Production boards are "aligned" with sailors that are closer to Jeff's size,
so that us big guys (Jim, Kirk?) have a hard time finding a model that will
do what we want for a given condition (eg light air). Like Kirk pointed out,
we would have to be on something like an Equipe to get an equivalent vol/weight
ratio as most of the smaller guys. Getting a board built custom will deliver
a more fun/competitive shape at a weight that will fly in light air.

~Jim