Question On Pt Reyes/Limantour

From: Will Estes (westes@usc.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Aug 27 1995 - 12:38:50 PDT

From: Will Estes <westes@usc.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Question On Pt Reyes/Limantour
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 12:38:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: windsurf-club@lists.stanford.edu-DeleteThis

With all of the discussion that we have had about windsurfing
Limantour Spit at Point Reyes on the wind_talk list, I thought I would
pass on the following report. I was hiking the southern end of Point
Reyes on Sunday, and I walked the beach from Alamere Falls up to
Wildcat Camp. I couldn't help but notice the following:

a) The entire Bay was white-capping. I'm estimating 4.7 weather
throughout.

b) The wind near Wildcat Beach is all *side-onshore*, unlike Limantour
Spit, where it is all side-offshore.

c) Due to the orientation of the beach, the windline was directly at
shore break, not off-shore.

d) The waves were rather mild, making it an ideal spot for
intermediates.

e) The beach is virtually abandoned, except for hikers.

f) The beach is accessible near Wildcat Camp, via several trails on which
you can take bicycles. I wasn't on any of those trails yesterday,
but theoretically you could get a windsurfer down to that beach if you
had a trailer for your stuff that could be drawn by a bicycle. I know
I have seen such setups.

Theoretically windsurfing is not allowed (theoretically swimming is
not allowed either, but plenty of people were going into the mild
surf). I was really wishing for my windsurfer yesterday. I'm
interested if anyone has tried it here.

--
Will Estes                              U.S. Computer
Internet: westes@usc.com-DeleteThis                POB 3150