Re: Discrepancy between COTW Coyote tides and Ken's SM tides

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 24 1995 - 13:29:36 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 13:29:36 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Discrepancy between COTW Coyote tides and Ken's SM tides

I've compared CotW hi/lo tides with Ken's reports, and they were with 5
mins on the highs, and within 10 mins on the lows. I would attribute
this to the different locations. I've been watching the hi/lo slacks
reported by CotW, and feel that they are acurate enough for 3rd, give
or take 5-10mins. As far as being diffent on the height, I would guess
that would be the difference in the method of calculation. CotW is
getting their tidal info from some service, whereas Ken's are coming
from NWS/NOA (Ken?).

Today's tides:

Call of the Wind:

Coyote: lo tide: 6:21am + .2 ft
        hi tide: 12:54pm +6.7 ft
        lo tide: 6:23pm +2.2 ft

Ken Poulton's report:

SM low tide 95/8/24-06:30 -0.4 ft
SM high tide 95/8/24-12:55 6.5 ft
SM low tide 95/8/24-18:20 2.6 ft

The time differences can be attributed to the different locations. The
differences in height are off by less than a foot, is that beyond
acceptable tolerances? ;^)

What I would like to hear is an explanation of why slack current occurs after
say, a low tide. For instance, today, low tide at Crissy is at 5:03pm, but
low slack is at 7:29pm! How is it that slack current occurs 2.5 hours after
low tide?

~Jim