safety gear inventory

From: Jeff Hodges (hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Aug 24 1995 - 13:24:48 PDT

Subject: safety gear inventory
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: tomb@peer.com-DeleteThis, Iris Renner <iris@corp.sgi.com-DeleteThis>, Wendy.Wheaton@ncal.kaiperm.org-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 95 13:24:48 -0700
From: Jeff Hodges <hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU-DeleteThis>

I've pretty much completed my safety pack(s) based on the discussions of such
on this list over the last year and here's what I have fer yer review &
comment...

in a "gorge gear" fanny pack (with mesh bottom) (can be ordered from gorge gear
directly -- use info to get their phone number in Hood River OR) (mine's a
"mini" size, they also have medium & large)...

  strobe (the $25 one - single C battery; for night position marking)
  flashlight (the mini water proof one - single AA battery)
  mega whistle
  signal mirror (plastic)
  military dye marker (for daylight position marking)
  tow line (soon to be parachute cord)
  spare out/downhaul lines
  3 light sticks
  4 power bars
  2 medium, plastic bungee cords (for rolling up sail)
  4 long, plastic bungee cords (for lashing gear to board or whatever)

  every thing but the last six items are lanyard'ed to the fanny pack so I
won't loose anything out in the water. will probably put the other loose items
in little sacks lanyarded to the pack too. All above doodads were obtained at
West Marine except bungee cords & power bars.

Additionally, in a small mesh stash bag I got at REI, which I've fastened to
the back of my harness, I keep a hood & gloves (& mebbe booties when I'm
sailing barefoot).

Logic is that I may need the hood & gloves & such in order to swim in
comfortably wherever I'm sailing (gorge, delta, bay) and so should be on my
harness all the time (I don't have much body fat and easily get cold in the
water even in HA). The other gear I carry pretty much only when sailing on the
bay.

Smoke & flares as position markers seem to've been discredited by recent
experience posted here and so I don't make use of them.

Gorge folks were kinda fascinated with the concept of miles-long reaches here
on the bay and quickly said things like "sheesh, what if you break down??!".
After some discussion they seemed to think carrying that safety stuff would be
a good idea here, especially on an ebb at crissy ;^)

One last thing would be to carry some drinking water (cyclist that I am). Was
thinking about a water bottle holster (e.g. Peter Liu has a "one beer" holster
:) but then the guy at Epic (rents rigs next to Windance in Hood River) sez
he uses a Camel Back (of Mtn Biking fame) on his long up & down river treks. He
sez he can comfortably drink while sailing (he must be one of those talented
make-most-all-of-my-jibes-and-don't-stop-much folks). So I might do that for
those long (for me) exploratory runs up & down the bay I've been doing lately.
Anyway, I get thirsty out there.

Jeff

ps: I've been regularly checking the strobe & flashlight and so far no signs of
corrosion and they work fine. I've had 'em for over a month now. I'll upgrade
to the Firefly strobe ($60) if this one wigs out on me in any way.

pps: I got a Zeiner PFD at the Warehouse. it's light, thin, unnoticable, and
floats me just fine in combo w/my wetsuit, and fastens to the harness front &
rear so it doesn't ride up. Mebbe I'll fasten the CamelBAck to it...