Re: Wind guaging at Rio Vista

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 21 1995 - 14:06:06 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 14:06:06 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Wind guaging at Rio Vista

> > Makes sense. What would you say qualifies as a strong pressure
> > difference? Currently, we see -0.07 inHg from SFO to Travis_AFB.
> > Is -0.07 strong enough of a difference?

Over the last 3 months, the SFO-Sacto pressure difference stats:
n = 1662
min = -0.19
max = 0.06
sum = -114.4
mean = -0.06885
sdev = 0.03701
frac_sdev = -0.5376

So -0.07 inHg is the mean pressure difference over the last three months.
Given that it has been windy at Rio for most of the time, -0.07 is
probably fine.

Note that there is a daily cycle, too: the average at 10 AM is -0.051,
while the 6 PM average is -0.86.

"Ask not what your computer can do for you..."