Re: Wind guaging at Rio Vista

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 21 1995 - 11:16:19 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 11:16:19 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Wind guaging at Rio Vista

> Wednesday the windtalker was saying at 2pm 15-29 mph : I sailed with 4.7

just taking the average of 15-29 mph -> 19 knots, which agrees with the
19g25 report for Travis from 1,2,3 pm.

> Thursday it was 13-26 mph : I sailed with 5.3

just taking the average of 13-26 mph -> 17 knots, which agrees with the
18g25 report for Travis from 2 pm.

I conclude from this tiny amount of data that the windtalker and Travis
AFB are in pretty good agreement under these conditions. More data
would be welcome.

Last time I sailed Powerlines, the Travis report correlated pretty well
with what I found on the water (19g23 + 3kt ebb, just powered on 5.2/257).

What is surprising to me is that even with the mild ebb condition (2 knots??)
that this kept you powered on 5.3 or 4.7, with a 258 board and 195 pounds.
>From SFO conditions, I would call this amount of 5.7 to 5.2, even for
my 185 pounds. I must guess that either you like sailing less powered
than I, or that sometimes a Rio knot is stronger than an SFO knot.

Overall, it seems that the Travis data is a pretty good indicator
of the sailing conditions at Rio.

"Engineers think that equations are an approximation of reality.
Physicists think that reality is an approximation of the equations.
Mathematicians never make the connection.
Economists don't realize that there is a difference."
                                        -- Donny Goff