Wind guaging at Rio Vista

From: Bob Prevett (prevett@shredder.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 21 1995 - 09:26:00 PDT

From: "Bob Prevett" <prevett@shredder.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:26:00 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Wind guaging at Rio Vista
Cc: prevett@shredder.engr.sgi.com-DeleteThis

OK, so I understand the basic regional conditions required for wind at Rio
Vista: thick marine layer, fog spreading across bay to Oakland. To see how
strong the wind really is, I've been using two sources: the WindCraft windtalker
line at 916-777-7007 and the Travis_AFB entry from the Ken Poulton wind report.

My problem is that whenever I call the wind talker to see if the morning and/or
the afternoon session is happening, the wind really doesn't seem that strong.
 For example, right now (Friday 9am) the windtalker says wind ranging from 12 to
26 mph, averaging southwest at 18. The Travis_AFB entry from the Ken Poulton
wind report is similar: 230 degrees at 18 mph, although the time stamp is 0455.

How well do the wind talker and Travis_AFB data correlate to the real wind on
the water?

Tnx

BobP

--