Re: A good place for novice wave sailing.

From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed May 24 1995 - 21:24:49 PDT

Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 00:24:49 -0400
From: WindFinder@aol.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: A good place for novice wave sailing.

To: Michael Schonberg et al

The best place for a novice in the Bay Area is Tubamancha. In Maui it is
Eskimos. In Baja, and not as friendly is San Carlos.

Why Tuba?
1. Pure long period ground swell no junky short period wind swell
2. Small and very clean well seperated waves
3. Very storng wind at the beach and impact zone
4. Little or no shore break
5. It is a bar break a long ways from shore
6. Side offshore winds bottom turn is easy
7. Very very long rides
8. Slow breaking easy waves
9. No sailors most days
10. No cars, No roads, No LOCAL EMOTIONS
11. Spectacular Nat'l wilderness area so tread lightly

Down sides
1. hard to find & long 1hr. drive from Golden Gate
2. Have to carry gear 500 feet from parking lot
3. Have to be sail 2 miles upwind to surf (bring blade and wave fin unless yo
uare good going upwind)
4. Few sailors and no boat traffic if you get into trouble
5. Seals, poriposes and potential unfriendlies may share the surf.
6. Small surf and really doesn't prepare you fully for Waddell etc.

If you are interested e-mail me. Or see my or Bob Gavlin's articles in past
Windtracks magazines

Mike Godsey, Windsight