Re: Waterproofing a Cell Phone

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 03 1995 - 09:40:09 PDT

Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 09:40:09 -0700
From: James.Paugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis (Jim Paugh)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Waterproofing a Cell Phone

I've probably mentioned this before, but I feel compelled to bring it
up again. Calling 911 while stranded on the water is the long way
around, getting to the Coast Guard. A waterproof, handheld marine radio
doesn't require a plastic bag, the C.G. monitors channel 16, so you can
contact them directly. And if you and your buddies have them, you can
keep in touch with each other while on the water. The main disadvantage
would be price, the better waterproof models run around $400-500, and a
marine radio license is $70. But a cell phone is only free if you sign
up for service, and are about $300 otherwise.

>From some of the discussions we've had at the SFBA (penninsula chapter)
meetings, people who initiated a rescue through 911 said that they got
the run-around before finally getting connected with the Coast Guard.

Just some food for thought.

~Jim