Re: Waterproofing a Cell Phone

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 03 1995 - 16:06:26 PDT

From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@CS.Berkeley.EDU-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Waterproofing a Cell Phone
Date: Wed, 03 May 1995 16:06:26 -0700

> >From some of the discussions we've had at the SFBA (penninsula chapter)
> meetings, people who initiated a rescue through 911 said that they got
> the run-around before finally getting connected with the Coast Guard.

But why is this a problem? A few minutes won't make a
difference.

> would be price, the better waterproof models run around $400-500, and a
> marine radio license is $70. But a cell phone is only free if you sign
> up for service, and are about $300 otherwise.

For the cheapest ones? There seem to be a wide range of prices.

One problem I see with a dedicated, subscriptionless
cellular phone is that it would be a hassle to keep it
reliably charged, unless you can replace the NiCads
units with alkaline ones.

And I still haven't heard a definitive answer to the
question `does 911 work without subscription'. ---Luigi