Re: Dynafiber booms

From: Harry Burks (harry@clarity.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Nov 15 1994 - 12:55:36 PST

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 94 12:55:36 PST
From: harry@clarity.com-DeleteThis (Harry Burks)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Dynafiber booms

> > Are the latest models of FiberSpar booms still prone to failure?

> Apparently the 94s are fine. ASD (the largest Fiberspar dealer on the
> West Coast, I think John said) says they have gotten no '94 returns. By
> contrast, they think they replaced most of the '93s under warranty.

FiberSpars are great booms, but probably NOT for heavyweight, agressive sailors. Big sail, flat
water, slalom sailing, maybe. Anything remotely risky, no way. After breaking a '94 this year
(at the aluminum head, probably due to a minor slam), I converted to Chinook. Not as nice, but
my hard core buddies have trouble breaking them, and I haven't broken one yet....

The issue is not the carbon arms, but the slender aluminum near the head. It was disappointing,
because everything else about them (adjustment, grip, and clamp) really is great.