Re: NO ACCESS at old 3ed launch

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jul 12 1994 - 11:09:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 11:09:44 -0700
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: NO ACCESS at old 3ed launch

> > By the way, to the left side of the parking area while heading in, there is
> > a really large flatland of dry tundra and marsh grass. Couldn't some large
> > section of this be easily turned into a dirt parking area?

If it looks like "dry tundra and marsh grass" it is considered wetlands
and under strict environmental controls. These "wetlands" (near 3rd)
are not very impressive, but there isn't much left around the Bay.
Please don't even suggest that we park there - it will raise
environmental hackles!

> There appears to be a lot of land that could be set up for parking, but
> given the restrictions on land management, I'm sure there was a reason
> that the parking area wasn't built any bigger than it currently is.
> Does anyone remember what was involved in the original plans for that
> new parking lot at 3rd?

We counted 60 parking spots at the old launch and said that we used
most of them. Foster City (under extreme duress from Bay Conservation
and Development Commission) eventually agreed to replace those spaces at
the new launch. They were unwillng to do anything more than required to
get a permit for their levee work.

Their reason for making the access to the lot narrow is that they (the
city engineers) felt the minimum they could do was to put down several
inches of compacted gravel for the parking lot and access road;
therefore, the less area inside the fence, the cheaper for them.

I think we should try to convince them to move the fences out to the
park-able width all the way to 3rd Ave. If the added parking spaces get
muddy in the winter, it's no problem for us, and there's no problem with
emergency vehicle access since the lane down the center has a good
surface. In fact, emergency vehicle access would be improved since
we'd have no cars parked in a narrow access road.