ABK Windsurfing Camp

From: Justin Gordon (justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 11 1994 - 10:21:26 PDT

From: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis (Justin Gordon)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: ABK Windsurfing Camp
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 94 10:21:26 PDT

I attended the ABK camp at Rio Vista this weekend.

I can recommend it to all sailors of any ability (first timer
to self-proclaimed expert). Before I went to the camp I felt
pretty proficient. I could sail proficiently in the meanest
bump and jump at Crissy, get big air, and make 95% of my jibes.

The camp showed me just how little I know about the sport.
The wind was very marginal for a large part of the camp. That
helped me where I had the most to learn--about light wind sailing.
The staff demostrations of light air tricks on short boards
were simply amazing. You just wanted to say "no way!" after each one.

The most useful lesson I had was how to sail my short board
upwind, against a very strong flood, with very light winds.
I got caught in a strong flood tide and was on an express ride to the
town of Rio Vista. I didn't think that there was any way I was going
to sail my board back to the launch. My instructor sailed up behind
me and coached me all the way back to within 10 yards downwind of
the launch. I slogged the entire way with my front foot in front of
the mast track, with the water thigh deep at times.

I never thought it could be done, but now I am much more confident that
I will be able to make it home when the wind shuts off and the current
is very strong.

The staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The food was
outstanding (you just wouldn't have expected that it would be
so good while camping).

I hope to attend the camp next year. It was that good.

P.S. I finally bought a bigger board for those light air days.
I got a used '93 F2 Sputnik 285 WC with 115L. Does anybody have any
experience with that board. It's gotten great reviews from the magazines
and I've heard good things about it from several people. I look forward
to trying it soon.

Justin Gordon
email: justin@mcm.com-DeleteThis
phone: 415.267.1287