Re: Ames Sailing Club First Meeting of the Year

From: Michael J. Schuh (schuh@apm-iris3.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 15:21:45 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:21:45 -0800 (PST)
From: "Michael J. Schuh" <schuh@apm-iris3.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis.com>
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com
Subject: Re: Ames Sailing Club First Meeting of the Year

Here is some more information on this month's sailing club talk.

Michael

  Dear Members,

  Here is some Information on Our Speaker Bob Diamond, for this month's
  meeting from the man himself!

  "I started sailing in the early 70's by teaching sailing for Hillbrook Camp
  in Los Gatos, a day camp for children. The first boat of my own was a
  Banshee dinghy. By the mid 70's my wife and I moved up to a Hunter-27. I
  didn't take up sailing in the beginning as a hobby. I took it up as an
  obsession. By the early 80's, I was doing some racing; the single handed
  Farallones races, the 1982 San Francisco to Kauai race, and several Long
  Beach to Cabo races, only the Farallones races on my own boat.

  I came to Spinnaker to teach sailing part time at the beginning of 1984 and
  started full time at the beginning of 1985. It was during that first year
  that I obtained a USCG Masters license and ASA (American Sailing
  Association) instructor certification. I became an advanced instructor and
  instructor evaluator in 1985 and have been conducting Instructor
  Qualification Clinics every year since then.

  I've been a career sailing instructor since then and organizing group
  bareboat charter trips; doing about 3 trips a year. The Caribbean bareboat
  trips have been to destinations all over the Lesser Antilles. Other
  destinations include Tahiti, Tonga, Fiji and Australia in the South
  Pacific, several different areas of Greece, and The Sea of Cortez.

  My latest travel for sailing was in January 2003 to Osaka to act as mentor
  Instructor Evaluator for the owner of Aoki Yachts, Ltd. who was conducting
  his first ASA Instructor Qualification Clinic as Instructor Evaluator."