safety @ 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 12:07:39 PDT

Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
To: wind_talk@zonker.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com
Subject: safety @ 3rd

>From: Steve Gunn <stevengunn@home.com-DeleteThis.com>

I'm not a member of the "windtalk" group, but I was sent copies of postings
regarding this subject by Mark, you and JR..so I hope you don't mind me
sending you the following ideas I've been considering (incorporated your
"lane" idea) directly rather than posting to the group. Do with them as you
wish.

I attempted to make the following "rules" apply to both windsurfers
and kiters (not single out either group). I would be willing to discuss with
you and others as to where we go from here.

The two launch ramps at the point should not be used by kiters to launch or
land their kites. Kiters should use the beach or the upwind location to
launch, and the beach or downwind of the beach to land.

The basic on the water rules apply to ALL vessels; Starboard has right of
way over Port, everyone regardless of who has the right of way needs to
avoid a collision, and LOOK before tacking, jibing, or initiating trick
maneuvers.

ALL launch and land areas should be kept clear, except by those who are
launching and landing. A safety zone should be established within 50' of
launch/land areas where speeds should be greatly reduced, and no jibes or
trick maneuvers should be initiated.

Kiters should avoid kiting in the "traffic lane" created by windsurfers
while they sail from the launch to the channel and return. It is OK to kite
across this lane to go upwind or downwind, but do not kite in this lane.

Windsurfers should avoid the area downwind of the "traffic lane" from the
launch to about 1/2 way to the channel as this is where most of the kite
traffic exists and kiters will attempt their trick maneuvers.

If two kiters are in close proximity of each other, regardless of who has
the right of way, the upwind kiter should fly their kite high while the
downwind kiter should fly their kite low.

Windsurfers and kiters should recognize that being downwind of a kiter
presents some level of danger to them, and kiters should recognize that they
present some level of danger to downwind windsurfers and kiters.

HAVE FUN! EVERYONE is at 3rd Ave to have FUN! It is your personal
responsibility to use common sense and common courtesy, and respect the
safety of others as well as your own.

Steve