Re: Tues & Safety Issues

From: Kirk Lindstrom (KirkLindstrom@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 09:03:55 PDT

Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 09:03:55 -0700
From: Kirk Lindstrom <KirkLindstrom@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis.com>
To: wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com
Subject: Re: Tues & Safety Issues

I sailed Coyote yesterday and Monday on my 5.5 NOA (not much low end) and 8'9"
Enduro. (I'm 228 lbs)

Monday it was good for 2 hrs until the SW shift then there was a long schlog,
multiple dunking swim/schlog in... I made sure I was well upwind before coming
in and I don't go out that far unless I feel I can get far upwind...made it back
to the launch point with longer arms, but otherwise fine. One of the nicest,
smoothest days of the year!

Tuesday it was rocking at 2PM and I again rigged the 5.5/8'9"E and it died
inside but kept showing puff waves in and out. Many of us took those puffs out
risking smaller gear at about 2:45. It was great wind and disorganized chop
with good swells outside but after an hr I noticed I was "way upwind" at the
channel markers... Since I was not working at pointing... I felt it might be a
wind shift and looked at the hills and saw fog forming over Coyote which is
often a bad sign for it to die (SW shift) so I headed in at 4PM. Sailing dead
into the chop at that time was a 2nd clue of a Westerly wind shift. Planned
most of the way in and had to schlog the last mile or so doing the hula as it
was near dead again with the occasional puffs. It looked crappy still when I
left just before 5PM and the wind seemed to be way outside.

3rd is often much better than Coyote in W and SW wind shifts as the fog on the
hills is further North making 3rd less shifty.

We need more information to teach "self rescue". Someone reported a down sailor
due to a break of the boom that attaches it to the mast. I offered a bunch of
line to anyone that was rigged and wanted to try to find the person but nobody
had large enough gear rigged who felt they could risk sailing out in the dead
wind. The sail pocket should hold the boom up if you just toss a few lashes
around it. It will slide but stay up... Then you can body drag in or water start
and arm sail in. Even better if you have more line as you can tie a long piece
to the tip of your sail "maybe... not some of my sails..." and then tie it to
the boom with a few lashes around the mast.

Nobody should sail out of Coyote beyond the pole in the swimming area with out
line, a strobe and perhaps a whistle. I keep these in a $6 camera bag on a belt
around my waiste and held up by my harness. The belt goes through the belt loop
on the bag and I then use the clips for the shoulder strap to run more line
around the bag many time and thru the belt loop to make a 2nd belt loop of sorts
as a backup. The thing bangs the waves in the channel telling me it is still
there and is really no bother. I also keep a marine radio inside my wetsuit
against my chest (won't be too comfortable for Dolly Parton...).

You can actually make a boom sailable even if it breaks on both sides of the
head... just lash it to either side of the sail, play Kon-Tiki and body drag
in... you just need somethign to get the sail in the air and float you towards
home... Also, you are easy to spot that way and are clearly in distress. Put
the strobe on your arm and let it flash while dragging and all will know for
sure!

Lastly.. Some devotes of Darwinismn are still sailing in shorties in the channel
at Coyote. Whales have enough blubber to survive overnight but few others do...
I'm wearing my 4/3 all the time and often have to jump in to cool off but that
beats the alternative if I have to spend a night in the water.

Kirk out

--
best regards
Kirk Lindstrom