Re: Looking for Outer Banks advice: HELP!

From: Booker C. Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 14:03:38 PST

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:03:38 -0800 (PST)
From: "Booker C. Bense" <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list WIND_TALK <wind_talk@opus.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis.com>
Cc: Flynn Kelly <kmflynn@charline.com-DeleteThis.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for Outer Banks advice: HELP!
Sender: bbense@shred.stanford.edu-DeleteThis.com

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Flynn Kelly wrote:

> Okay, here's the scoop: we live in Belgium and will be in Rochester, NY for a wedding on August 25, 2001. We'd like to take a windsurfing vacation the following week (27-31 August), but we don't know where to go! We're open to anything on the East Coast, but would like something warm (especially since we're coming from a land of cold and rain), that will allow us to get in some quality windsurfing time, but also has the potential for other relaxation/recreation (especially if there's no wind!). We thought of the Outer Banks, but we know nothing about the area . . .
> --Is there decent wind at that time of year?
> --Is it crowded or expensive?
> --My husband's quite experienced, but I'm a rank beginner (I've only been once, a couple of years ago, but loved it) -- so we need a place with good \221surfing for him and forgiving water for me. I'm also looking for some really good, in-depth instruction. Already checked: no ABK clinics anywhere in the US during that week! Can anyone recommend shops or camps in the area that offer clinics or lessons?
> --Where should we stay/where should we rent?
>
> Again, the OB were just an idea -- if anyone has the ultimate location anywhere on the East Coast, we're totally open to suggestions. (for example, I took a look at the Calema site (Tinho D's place on Merritt Island, FL), but they don't have any beginner's clinics scheduled in August.) Since we'll have to make the trip there from Rochester on August 26 or 27, and get back to Belgium by September 2, it'll have to be fairly easily accessible . . . Many, many thanks for your help and advice.
> --Kelly

- IMHO, Cape Hatteras is the one place on the East Coast not to miss.
You can get skunked in August, but it's such a nice place that you
don't mind too much. The sound side is excellent beginner territory.

- Last week in August will likely be crowded, but everything remotely
like a beach on the east coast will be crowded during the last week
in August. The further south you go the less commercial/crowded it
is. It's been a while since I've been there, but the shops are
on the north end ( Cape Dennis?). I think there's also a local
shaper that has a pretty good rep ( fox boards ?)

- There was a pretty reasonable campground just south of the
lighthouse, but it's been some time since I was there and I
don't know what the status of that is anymore.

- One last thing, late August is prime hurricane season. Chances are
you won't see one, but you should pay attention and be prepared to
evacuate if you have to.

- You might want to ask on the news group rec.windsurfing. I
know you'll get some responses from sailors more local than
wind-talk ( which is mostly San Francisco bay area locals ).

- Booker C. Bense