Maui Trip report

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:39:58 PDT

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Maui Trip report
To: wind_talk@jr.labs.agilent.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 19:39:58 -0400

Came back from the valley island this past Sunday on the red eye. I can
still feel that warm tropical wind in my mind......and the clear warm
water......and the kind waves.

Sailed 10 out of 12 days. 5 days of good waves: 4 on North shore and 1 in
Kihei. The wind was either very strong, or pretty mild. I sailed on
4.3/8'2" (4 days) and 5.4/8'8" (2 days) and all sail sizes in between.
Hooked up w/Steve Shuggart (SP?) while there, he recognized my PeopleSoft
logo sail. Pulled of my first back loop - not on purpose. Fun jumping on
those macking ocean swells. No injuries, no sunburn, no broken gear - good
vacation.

This was the first time we brought Johanna to Maui w/us. She is 3 and
absolutely loved it: loved not taking baths, hanging out in bathing suit,
swimming naki naki in the ocean, playing in the sand, playing in the pool,
saying "hang loose to all locals", throwing shaka's...... Lots of kids in
Kanaha to play with. Joani sailed her first wave ;-) and liked it.

Tried some new sticks while there. All boards were tested in Kanaha,
rented from Maui Windsurf Company, except for Quattro (HT).

My observations (207#, sail mostly in bay, on coast as much as possible,)
JP 262 Wave, 96L, stock fin: tried this board on a marginal 5.4 day w/small
surf at lowers. On this day, my enduro (8'8") could not get up on plane.
On the JP, I popped right up on a plane as soon as the wind was in my sail.
The board went up wind more like a slalom board then wave board. I guess
those channels really work. Jumped like no tomorrow. Turned very smooth
on the face of a wave, not slashy, but solid for this size board. Jibes
like a dream. Eats chop and smooths it out. Very fast for a wave board.
Very comfortable board. Slogs very well. Would be a good bay board for
big guys (over 200#), especially if you prefer to turn/slash more then you
like to go full on fast.

JP 260 wave, 84L, stock fin: 4.7 day w/logo waves on uppers. This is as
much fun as one can have w/their boardshorts on ;-) This board is truly
amazing. I tried it side by side w/my enduro and had a hard time going
back to my own board. It planed up as fast as my eduro. went upwind very
well. Turns on a dime: both in tight jibes and on the face of a wave.
It's amazing in the waves - have not tried anything like this in the past.
Jumps great, soft to land. Very fast for a wave board. When I loose 10
lbs, this will become my coast wave board.

F2 260 wave, 90L, stock fin: 5.4 day w/no waves. Felt more heavy then JP,
slower to plane. Ok in jibes, not as tight as both JP's. Jumps great,
lands w/more impact - heavier board. After having tried the JP, the F2
stood no chance. I would guess they would be more durable, which is good
for the surf. A fast wave board. This would be a good 1st wave board for
people who are used to slalom shapes.

Quatro 8'6", 8.25" wave fin: 4.7 day, smallish waves on uppers. This is
the Ferrari of wave boards. Lighter then the JP, faster to plane, points
better. Jumps into the stratosphere and lands so smooth - trust it ain't
the sailor, it was the board. This thing made all turns smooth: big arcs
and slashy quick ones. Very balanced shape, which made it easy to slog.
Very thin tail, totally controllable in all water conditions. If $$$$$ was
not an issue for me, I would have this board in my truck now (they are
about $1,800...unless you can get the bro deal for $1,600).......Once PSFT
stock goes up, maybe ;-)

Vacations are awesome. Coming back to a pile of work reminds you how great
vacation is........

ZG, 877-636-7863
PeopleSoft Consulting - Enterprise Performance Management
425/955-9169 (eFax)