Seal Point Meeting Report (Oct 7)

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 23:45:46 PDT

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: stopsfo@hooked.net-DeleteThis, wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Seal Point Meeting Report (Oct 7)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 23:45:46 PDT

SEAL POINT PARK, SAN MATEO
The Public Meeting regarding Seal Point went well tonight. We've got a new
windsurf spot in the works between Third Avenue and Coyote Point, and things
are going smoothly.

One windsurfer spoke (that same person is typing this report), and another
windsurfer was in attendance and turned in written comments (Charles Blade.)
Not a large turnout, but this was a preliminary meeting, so the small
turnout was perfect, actually. The next meeting where San Mateo resident
windsurfers can really help by attending and speaking will be in a month or
two, or three.

The Sierra Club spokesperson spoke first and opposed almost everything in
the Shoreline Plan including the parking on top of the hill which is
critical for windsurfing access. She instead suggested a small cart be
provided, and parking only be allowed on weekends on J. Hart Clinton
Drive/Third Avenue itself. Windsurfers could then take turns using the cart
to push their gear one at a time all the way around the landfill hill to the
launch ramp.

I spoke shortly thereafter (she left right away, actually), and I mentioned
that I am a very active Sierra Club member and that the Sierra Club position
on this issue does not represent all members of the Sierra Club, and in fact
the parking on top of the hill is absolutely required for windsurfing. The
idea of the cart and parking on Third Avenue might sound OK if you have
never tried windsurfing, but it will simply not work for windsurfers [it
would take 30 minutes per person to cart the gear the distance of about 1
mile each way, so the majority of windsurfers sleeping in line would not get
a chance to sail until after sundown!]. I told the entire audience that as a
windsurfer and Sierra Club member I am quite happy with the plans as they
currently stand [the current layout is as good as we could have hoped for,
considering the geography of the landfill].

I spoke with the planner after the meeting, and it is clear that the City
does NOT want parking on weekends to take up one lane of the freeway known
as Third Avenue / J. Hart Clinton Drive. And, he told me not to worry about
the hill-top parking lot at this point. The Sierra Club opposed everything
in the plans (fishing, mountain biking, dog park for small dogs, dog park
for large dogs, etc.) and it is unlikely that they will get much of what
they want -- since the City and City residents want windsurfing, fishing,
mountain biking, and a dog park, etc.

NOTE: The Sierra Club is a close ally of ours for the SFO battle, so it's
kind of interesting how we're at odds at Seal Point. Oh well.

Is anyone on this list a Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter member? If so, you
could call the office and tell them you are a Chapter member and you
strongly support the plans for the full parking lot on the top of the hill
at Seal Point Park. Windsurfing access is badly needed in the area, San
Mateo residents want windsurfing access at the Park, and parking allows
access to the environment which promotes environmental awareness...

-George

PS: Wind Report: I couldn't go out, but the wind was decent at Coyote Point
late this afternoon (Thursday). 15-18 Knots gusting to 20, with an ebb. A
few out jamming on floaty boards.