FW: Sailing out of control & sailing tired

From: Lev Belov (levb@amazon.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 16:37:02 PDT

From: Lev Belov <levb@amazon.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: FW: Sailing out of control & sailing tired
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 16:37:02 -0700

My humble advise... Get yourself a smaller board, or at the very least a
smaller fin! It'll make a world of difference. I was in your position a
couple years ago - an intermediate with a 100 liter board (F2 ride) and the
stock blade fin for all conditions. Switching to a smaller, swept-pointer
fin made a lot of differences. Makes turning and landing easier, avoids
tailwalking, etc. I HIGHLY recomment the finworks waveblade 11.5 - I am
still using it with the F2 Air for the 6.0. This is an excellent 5.0 to
6.0 B&J fin.

One other thing, once you switch to a smaller fin, it'll probably spin out
on you at first... don't worry - you'll get used to it, and getting out
of a spinout is easier with a small fin/small board too.

As far as sailing tired... remember at the DMV drivers license exam they
have a question on what should one do when feeling sleepy while driving.
 The possible answers were (as much as I remember) a) open the window and
make the radio louder; b) drive faster and change lanes more often; and c)
pull over and have a nap. Personally, I wished they also had all of the
above, but seriously... when tired, get a rest! It is outright
dangerous going out tired as you may get stuck, have a breakdown, and you
may be in for a long swim.

Just my personal opinions :-)

- Lev

On Friday, July 16, 1999 2:19 PM, lorinjohn@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis
[SMTP:lorinjohn@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis] wrote:
> I sail a Veloce 278 (9'2") (fin = 33cm... fairly straight) and quite
often I
> feel completely out of control. Typical places I sail are Sherman
Island,
> Berkeley, Pt. Isabel, the 'Stick, and (recently) Crissy. The most
> comfortable I feel is at the 'Stick (I suspect since it is very flat.).
 My
> issues are that the board appears to come nearly completely out of the
water
> and becomes squirrelly (i.e., rocking from weather to leeward).
 Typically,