CoW Sensor "Correction Factors"

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 22:50:50 PDT

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: CoW Sensor "Correction Factors"
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 22:50:50 PDT

First, Peter - your Full Moon Fever report was a classic. I could just
imagine if a ferry full of tourists got a good look at how you were "wearing
your wetsuit" out there... The tourists already think it's completely
freezing out on the Bay and they think we're all nuts, but if they saw you
on that fateful day with your butt hanging out, they would go home with a
definite impression indeed.(!)

Regarding the airport's and call of the wind #'s for Coyote:
Sunday: a couple of folks hit the water around 2:00 and slogged way out
there to the airport and had a "great" couple of hours of sailing until the
wind actually filled in to Coyote and the wind sensor even had any readings.
That's the difference between the airport and Flying Tigers (R.I.P.) vs.
anywhere else on some days, I guess.
Monday: a few racers with 7.0s or maybe 13.0s had great fun, but other than
that it was just barely too light to sail.
Tuesday: Really great sailing starting around 5:30 until the park closed
(8pm). Only about 6 of us out at Coyote. Some nice swells.

Call of the Wind Sensor Correction Factors:
Segei makes a tremendous point when he says that the CoW folks should not
change the sensor readings without telling us. Indeed, we all know the
readings are just a tool and they don't tell you exactly what it's doing on
the water. My opinion is that they should just report what the wind sensors
read, and not tweak the info at all. That way we can figure out for
ourselves what 12 knots from the west means, or 18 knots from the northwest.
Everyone is going to have a different opinion, anyway, about how much to
add, and how much more to add on SW as opposed to on a SSW wind. What a
mess!

At the very least, CoW should just stick to the system they've had for each
site for the last several years -- that way our own "corrections" that each
of us have developed in our minds (as Sergei points out) won't be thrown out
the window.

* I think the wheels really start coming off when Call of the Wind is
reading higher than the wind actually is blowing. This does happen, as a
bi-product from the process of CoW trying to "tweak" the sensor readings to
show what the wind really is blowing out where we do most of our sailing.
Here are a few of the "tweakings" as reported to me by Jim:

>COYOTE - Add 10%
>
>3rd AVENUE - THIS SEASON I ADDED 20% FROM THE SOUTH TO THE WNW AND >10% TO
>THE NW WITH ALL OTHER DIRECTIONS LEFT ALONE. THIS IS WHAT IT >WAS LAST
>YEAR. I HOPE IT IS CLOSER NOW.
>
>CRISSY? MOSTLY SW, SSW AND S ABOUT 20%
>
>DELTA? S AND SW ABOUT 20%
>
>TOMALES BAY? NW 20% AND NNW 10%
>
>POINT ISABEL? SSW 10% SW, WSW 20% AND W 10%.

** I don't know what the solution is, but I think Jim has a great service
going -- but perhaps our input could help make it better.

-George