Re: SFO Expansion Contacts and Next Step

From: Jim McGrath (jmcgrath@portoakland.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 07:26:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 07:26:34 -0700
From: Jim McGrath <jmcgrath@portoakland.com-DeleteThis>
To: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Cc: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, atomic1@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis, harris@synopsys.com-DeleteThis, bob@quake.net-DeleteThis, geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis, Randyboz@aol.com-DeleteThis, karinaoc@earthlink.net-DeleteThis, Robberson.Bill@epamail.epa.gov-DeleteThis, OConnor.Karina@epamail.epa.gov-DeleteThis, harris4life@yahoo.com-DeleteThis, CoyoteSurf@aol.com-DeleteThis, bdow@cisco.com-DeleteThis, TFeldstein@grmslaw.com-DeleteThis, mtischler@mail.arc.nasa.gov-DeleteThis, lbauman@fostercity.org-DeleteThis, jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis, carlyle@savesfbay.org-DeleteThis, cems1@earthlink.net-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: SFO Expansion Contacts and Next Step

Peter--excellent work on the hotel denial. I was out of town, and was duly
impressed by the successful effort. Congratulations to all, and a good sign that
well organized windsurfers can be a major force.

Some things to add to the collective knowledge on SFO's environmental efforts.
(I have some perspective in this, I run the environmental department at the Port
of Oakland, and we are responsible for Oakland Airport.) Another key contact for
the Airport's efforts is Tom Gwyn. He's their director of communications and a
good friend of mine, and a man of integrity (which is not always evident at
SFO). His number is 650-375-7030. We should push to have him involved in any
direct face-to-face meetings.

Loss of direct water area and access from Coyote Point, a regional park, is a
very big deal. One of the most powerful laws covering environmental impacts is
Section 4(f) of the Transportation Act, which essentially gives established
recreational (and historic) resources a very high priority and substantive
mitigation requirements that are much stronger than what we had to deal with for
the Hotel development. Coyote Point is an existing park, so 4(f) limits use of
Federal funds if there are alternatives that would lessen or avoid impact. It's
a big gun.

I think you have identified the big issues. I tend to think that siltation and
alteration of bathymetry will be a big issue, and hard to analyze. Although my
training convinces me that this should be important, I've also had the first hand
experience of running into a shoal at 20+ mph during a race. Placement of fill
will displace "mud waves" out into the Bay, creating such shoals. And alteration
of circulation, and wave sheltering and refraction will cause further shoaling,
probably for 50 years. This will affect both the nature of the environment and
the quality of recreation.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help attend meetings or on the
technical issues.

Jim McGrath
(sail # Mac)