RE: 4 days in June

From: ARMAS, EARL (PTSS) (eaarmas@msg.pacbell.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 17 1999 - 10:03:40 PDT

From: "ARMAS, EARL (PTSS)" <eaarmas@msg.pacbell.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: 4 days in June
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:03:40 -0700

Just to add another story to those stupid barges...

I sailed 3rd for the first time in a couple of years
(usually I sail at Coyote) on Sunday the 13th. A bunch
of us were planning a 3rd->Alameda trip. We started sailing
and got ~5.7 miles from 3rd when we decided to turn around
because the wind got light. On my way back, I sailed to close
on the leeward side on the barge (idiot Earl). Well, as you can
imagine I fell in and tried to waterstart. When I turned around
it looked like I was moving at warp speed toward the barges (strong
ebb). I tried to swim really fast out toward the west side of the
barge when I realize the ebb was too fast and that I was heading
toward the anchor at the rate I was swimming. I decided to swim
toward the barge. My gear hit the barge and luckyily the barge
was angled so that the strong ebb was slowly pushing me toward the
east side of the barge. I had to kick and push of the barge to keep
moving. After about 15 or so minutes, the ebb finally pushed me out.
It was pretty scary and tiring. Thanks Martin and Claude for keeping
an eye out for me. I managed to only suffer a tear in the sleeve of
my sai.

Does anyone know what the deal is with those barges and how long they
are going to be there?