Re: Shortboard question

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 11:32:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:32:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  Shortboard question

> I am transitioning to a shortboard and have a couple of questions. Is
> steering radically different from a longboard? Is it as simple as
> pushing down on the windward side of the board to go upwind and
> leeward for downwind?

That's about it. But it's not really shortboard vs longboard. When
you start *planing* on any size board, the dynamics change dramatically.
Suddenly the board steers quite strongly in response to lifting one
rail or the other. It's quite easy to get used to steering this
way, you just have to learn how to move your feet around without
inadvertantly steering as well.

You will also find that you want the daggerboard up when you start
planing. If you don't, the board will want to roll over to leeward
on you.

> Does the mast position play any role at all
> anymore?

Finding the best sail position for sailing is important to comfort
and speed, but you don't use the sail to make your turns.

"Faster and faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
                                        -- Hunter S. Thompson