Lost rig: Coyote, Saturday, 6.0 Hot Sails etc

From: John Hossack (hossack@yahoo.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 19:16:51 PDT

Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 19:16:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Hossack <hossack@yahoo.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Lost rig: Coyote, Saturday, 6.0 Hot Sails etc
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

On Saturday, about 5pm, out from Coyote point
under the flight path I lost:

Hot Sails AWOL VL 6.0 Purple/Blue
F/Spar Mast 30%
Chinook Boom (pink - not my choice of color)

(fortunately none of this was very new)

I carefully tightened my Chinook coupling
before sailing. Somehow, perhaps due to the mast
turning, it worked loose. The coupling slipped
out. I tried to hold onto to the sail but my
board surfed downwind on the swell and I had
to swim after it fast. I could not
find my sail after this. Most likely it
sunk but if you see it let me know (reward)

If you want some lessons from my experience:

Use a better coupling - ideally two bolt type.
Carry tow rope (I didn't but Pat(?) helped me
out and got one and towed me in)
Also, the bungs in F/Spar sails work loose
and not all were in my mast when I sailed.
For this reason, the mast probably filled
with water. For this reason alone, I
recommend getting a mast which under no
circumstances loses its bungs.
Also, stating the obvious, having a PFD
to help keep warm and lessen tiredness in the
water helped. It also helped to be not too
far out and to be amongst other windsurfers.

For info, someone else on the same day had
their board and sail come apart (further out)
If you want to rely on a single bolt it must
be so tight that you have to wonder if damage
to board track area will result.

John