RE: Limantour beach/Tubamancha this weekend

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 11:11:03 PDT

From: Brad James <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Limantour beach/Tubamancha this weekend
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 11:11:03 -0700

Lev-
Others I'm sure are more experienced than me with Tuba- I've only been
twice- but here's my $0.02:

First- you realize that the Tuba break is 1 to 2 miles of upwind sailing
from Limatour beach...

Answers to your questions:

1. The typical wind pattern is side-off, actually more off than side. Tuba
is a beach break. It is very, very easy to get out compared to Waddell
because the wave kind of dies after a hundred yards or so... just ride the
wave till it's done, then point back up to the peak. The wave at Tuba is
also almost always pretty small... I've never heard of it being bigger than
head-high.

2. Launch from Limantour and sail way, way upwind. You could also do a
downwinder from Drakes Beach, but I wouldn't recommend it.

3. There is a hostel near Limantour, I'm sure you can also camp near by.

4. While there may be others there this weekend... unless you live very
close, I wouldn't go. It tends to blow harder at Tuba than almost anywhere,
so it's likely to be very, very windy (check the NWS forecast). It's also
almost always windier at Tuba than at Limantour beach.

I personally only go to Tuba when there is a big NW swell, and you can get a
wrap-around from Point Reyes. I've never been there for this 11 second
period wind-swell we've got now but I'll bet teh wave is very, very small to
non-existent at Tuba now. (Anybody ever sailed Tuba with just wind-swell??
How is it??) If it's mast high at Waddell, I'd guess it's about waist to
chest at Tuba (it's sheltered by Point Reyes for NW swell).

I'm not trying to discourage you... Tuba is an awesome place, a great place
to practice your wavesailing skills, I just don't think it'll be that great
this weekend.

Brad