Re: Limantour beach/Tubamancha this weekend

From: Zeev_Gur/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 10:57:04 PDT

From: Zeev_Gur/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: joani.g.gur@ac.com-DeleteThis, "Erik Eiseman" <eeiseman@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis>, Cliff_E._Dycus/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, Michael_Imperiale/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, Kami_Semick/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 10:57:04 -0700
Subject: Re: Limantour beach/Tubamancha this weekend

Lev - Bob Galvan can give you more details: he has sailed there a
bunch

Here is what I know:
1. what're the typical wind/wave directions there? side to side-off.
Where you launch, Limatour, is about 1 mile downwind from Tuba,
which is where the waves are, unless there is a big S. Swell (not the
case now). You need to be a pretty good at getting upwind on wave
gear. I have done the "cheat" method in the past: walk my gear 3/4
of the way upwind - good exercize - and sail the rest of the way. The
wind is typically stronger at Tube/wave zone then where you launch due
to the gap facing NW.

The wave zone is very beautiful and feels remote. It's a great place to
take a break and relax on sand dunes while contemplating life. I have come
across a few naked people laying in the sun while taking a break: I did
not disturb them. They thought I was a seal ;-)

what kind of a break? A mellow slow wave that seems to stay up
forever. It's both tidal and swell caused. It's a mushy type of a wave,
very different (and better in MHO) then Waddell. The wind direction
is perfect for wicked jumping and great wave riding. It's best when
the tide is rising. I think is one of the best places to learn how to really
ride the waves.

how difficult is it in terms of getting out, comparing to Wadell - much
easier. If you can't make it upwind to Tuba, you can just play in the B&J
conditions in front of Limatour. It's much like Crissy, the views are
different w/much less boat traffic.

2. what's the best spot to launch from? Limantour. Sail upwind 1 mile.
Sherd waves. Scream back downwind to the beach. Open cold bear.
Smile. Watch sun go down. Smile.

3. where to spend a night? are there any campsites nearby? inexpensive
motels? Best place to spend night - your car/truck/van. Tons of camping in Pt.
Reyes Nat'l seashore. A few B&B's in town.

4. is anyone else going to be sailing there this weekend? Not planing on it.
For Tuba to blow you need NW winds. This weekend we are forecast to have
a pretty heavy marine layer caused by a back end of a low pressure system
from the Gulf of Alaska. When it's foggy, that's not the place to be (foggy
and not windy enough to sail).

The water is pretty darn cold at Tuba - it's the ocean. Check your stuff before
going out and sail with someone else. Breakdowns are not a good things - has
not happened to me there. Since the wind is side off, you will be floating for
quite
some time.

Good luck and have fun. Bring your bike/hiking boots in case it does not blow.
It's
a great area w/tons of non-wind stuff to do.

"Lev Belov" <levb@accept.com-DeleteThis> on 05/06/99 10:41:41 AM

Please respond to wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis