Re: Boards: comment and question

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun May 02 1999 - 22:08:19 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 01:08:19 EDT
Subject: Re: Boards: comment and question
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

In a message dated 4/30/99 7:34:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
prevett@nvidia.com-DeleteThis writes:

> > Now for a question: I want a board for 4.5 to 5.5 wind for use mainly at
> > 3rd, Rio and Berkeley. I am leaning heavily towards the Naish 8'7" but
> > several people have suggested the 8'5" instead. I seldom sail the surf.
> > Jumping and carving the swell are my main requirements. Any boards equal
> > the Naish but not so expensive? Anyone riding a Naish?
>
> For the above requirements (B&J, higher wind slalom), I would suggest
> checking out the
> following boards:
>
> - prodution:
> * F2 Axxis 261
> * JP Freeride 265
> * Bix Saxo 264

I got the Saxo 264 and love the board for bump and jump. Powers up great but
very controlable. I think it is the best value for the dollar... cheaper than
the rest but heavier. Heavier means more durable which is a must for me and
it I think it jumps just as high after riding it on Saturday against the
Mistral custom 265? (the larger of the red Customs) and the Naish 8"7" in the
best jumping conditions I've seen at Crissy (until things went flukey for the
latter part of the afternoon).

I was very impressed with the Mistral Custom. It was really fun to sail,
jump, and gybe way overpowered on a 5.0... very smooth in the gybes. I jumped
on the Naish 8' 7" right after and the thing I really noticed was that the
8'7" seemed extremely fast... too fast for my taste. I'm not much of a drag
racer anymore and I usually like to sail a bit overpowered and use a smaller
board to gain more control. It seemed like I had to round up a bit and rein
in the 8'7" in when I was putting it on a plane just so I could keep from
getting launched. For some sailors who can't get enough speed, it would
probably be great. I want my small board to feel more control oriented. My
pick between the two mistrals would be the Custom.

Peter